Overall, the Linksys E2500 is a good choice considering the price point. When comparing this unit to the Linksys E1200 you’ll notice that this wireless router is lightening fast. Streaming video wirelessly worked great with no hangups or freezing like the kind we’ve noticed in other models in this price range. You’ll also find that the setup is easier with this model than with previous Linksys models, though does take a little patience. Regardless, you’ll still be up and running in around 20 minutes and setting up additional devices goes quickly once the initial setup is complete.
In addition to its speed and relatively quick set up time you’ll also notice that upon set up a guest account is automatically created for guests on the network, which is separate and independent from the normal network password allowing an additional level of security. This functionality allows the network owner more control over who has permanent versus intermittent access to the network but can be disabled if you choose not to go this route.
As far as signal reliability and range we didn’t notice any signal drops, lags or disturbances in our testing. Range can leave a little to be desired as signal strength degrades rapidly at anything over 50-60 feet but will be sufficient for most single family household setups.
One last thing to note is that the unit does becomes quite hot so be sure to keep it in a well ventilated area to prevent over heating. It is also hot to the touch so be careful when attempting to move the device. Another downside, at least for us, is the lack of indicator lights telling you at a glance whether or not the device is connected to the internet or the power. This may be a positive thing for some as to finally be rid of those annoying blinking lights but for most the lights do serve a purpose.
Overall a great device for the price and one that will last for years to come.
Linksys E2500 Specifications
- Enjoy the power of simultaneous dual-band Wireless-N (802.11n) technology with double the capacity for surfing the web
- Connect your computers, wireless printers, smartphones, and other wireless devices at up to 300 + 300 Mbps of transfer speed
- Double your network bandwidth with simultaneous dual bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) to help avoid interference
- Enjoy the superior range provided by a MIMO antenna array
- Use four Fast Ethernet (10/100 Mbps) ports to directly connect wired devices
- Give visitors password-protected Internet access on a separate network so your visitors have access to the Internet
- Keep your network protected with customizable security settings, including WPA/WPA2 Personal and SPI firewall protection
- Set up your wireless network in three easy steps using included Cisco Connect software
- High speed (up to 300 + 300 Mbps) for fast wireless transfer rates
- Extended range with MIMO antenna array
- Fast Ethernet (10/100 Mbps) ports to connect wired devices to the network
- Simultaneous dual-band to maximize throughput and help avoid network interference